The parish receives numerous requests for financial support from Catholic organizations as well as other Christian and secular groups. The Charitable Contribution Committee, comprised of the Pastor, Director of Social Justice Ministry, and two parishioners review the requests on a tri-annual basis, and notifies those organizations who will receive funds. Those organizations supported are specified in the annual Outreach notice found under the Social Justice tab.
Those organizations receiving assistance must be compatible in their mission and programs with Catholic Social Doctrine, and their good works are those the parish is not alone able to perform. The organizations shall also be local organizations within close proximity to Houston.
The following is the process of St. Michael Catholic Church (SMCC) to receive and review requests from various organizations and agencies seeking financial support.
St. Michael Church
Charitable Contributions Committee
- Requests are to be made in writing over the entities letterhead
- The letter should clearly state the amount of requested funding, the purpose for which the funding is being requested, and the stated mission of the organization/entity
- The sender should be notified that our giving falls under the categories of:
- Catholic Faith Organizations
- Human Services
- Public & Societal Benefit
- Health Care
- The SMCC Charitable Contributions Committee will meet thrice annually to review requests for funding
- If funding is likely, SMCC may, at its discretion, inform the entity of its interest in visiting with them to become more familiar with the organization's mission and work
- When funding is approved, a check will be provided to the entity along with a letter from the SMCC Chair
- Requests not approved and addressed to Monsignor Rossi or a specific member of the staff will receive a written letter of regret
Jennifer Gonzalez is liaison and Chair of the Committee.