What is it?
- Both children and adults gather in the Church for the Introductory Rites at Mass.
- At the end of the opening prayer, an adult prayer leader comes forward carrying the Lectionary and children ages 4 through fourth grade are invited to go to the Activity Building to hear the Word proclaimed on their level.
- Adult prayer leaders read from the Lectionary, lead the children in song and present an age appropriate reflection before returning the children to the church before the Liturgy of the Eucharist.
When is it?
- Children's Liturgy of the Word is offered during the 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Sunday Masses.
- There is no Children's Liturgy of the Word during holidays or the months of June and July.
What it is not?
- Children's Liturgy is not faith formation class or "babysitting/nursery." Its purpose is to allow children to hear the living Word of God proclaimed at their own level of comprehension and faith development.
Interested in serving in this ministry?
We are always looking for adults who would like to share their Catholic faith, and who enjoy working with children, to serve in the Children's Liturgy of the Word Ministry. Volunteers serve in the following roles:
- The Prayer Leader reads the Gospel reading, leads a short reflection, and leads a short activity according to the lesson plan for that week.
- The Time Keeper is another adult who helps supervise the children, and assists the Prayer Leader, at Children’s Liturgy of the Word.
- A substitute Prayer Leader or Time Keeper is willing to fill in when a regularly scheduled volunteer is unable to make it.